HUman Givens Therapy has key differences from other forms of counselling and psychotherapy:
- Starts from where the person is now and focuses on the present & future rather than the past.
- Combines knowledge from Psychology, Neuroscience, the Psychotherapy ( what works) and related fields.
- Usual length of treatment is four to six sessions.
- Broad based organising framework for understanding human well-being and distress (Emotional Needs and Resources).
- Highly structured sessions which use SMART goals (similar to coaching in this respect).
- Practical- helps the client overcome the barriers to meeting their needs using all relevant and available tools & knowledge e.g. 7/11 breathing, relationship and social skills training.
- Has developed the only model of depression that explains all the known facts and leads to a clear psychological treatment plan.
- HG Psychotherapy uses different knowledge and evidence-based interventions for different conditions.
Targets the emotions rather than thoughts- because neuroscience has shown (Joseph Le Doux , New York University)that when someone is distressed the emotional brain takes control-the person is locked into their emotions. This is what causes the distorted thinking that is targeted by CBT.