Human Givens Therapy
Human Givens Therapy is a solution-focused brief therapy offering reliable & practical help in relieving a wide range of emotional & stress-related issues. It is structured and starts from where the client is now and focuses on moving them forward, as quickly as possible, to where they want to be and how they want to live. This therapy can help people sleep well; feel calmer and be more relaxed; improve their self-esteem; Improve their relationships; reduce the amount of time spent dwelling on the past & manage stress.
There have been huge developments over the last 15 years, in neuroscience and psychology, of the understanding of the trauma reactions, fear responses and survival mechanisms that underlie most common emotional health issues. The Human Givens Approach to psychotherapy combines knowledge and breakthroughs from these fields with the most effective techniques developed over the history of psychotherapy and coaching. It was described by the journal New Scientist as “a quiet revolution”.
Key differences from other forms of counselling and psychotherapy.
- Human Givens Therapy combines knowledge from Psychology, Neuroscience, the history of Psychotherapy and related fields.
- The usual length of treatment is four to six sessions( as opposed to a year or more for most other counselling approaches).
- It is grounded in a broad, evidence-based organising framework for understanding human well-being and distress (Emotional Needs and Resources).
- We start from where the person is now and focus on the present & future rather than past.
This therapy targets the emotions rather than thoughts- because neuroscience has shown (Joseph Le Doux , New York University)that when someone is distressed the emotional brain takes control-the person is locked into their emotions. This is what causes the distorted thinking that is targeted by CBT.
- Uses highly structured sessions which use SMART goals (similar to coaching in this respect).
- Practical- helps the client overcome the barriers to meeting their needs using all relevant and available tools & knowledge e.g. 7/11 breathing, time management, relationship and social skills training.
- Has developed the only model of depression that explains all the known facts and leads to a clear psychological treatment plan.
- HG Psychotherapy is scientifically-based and uses different knowledge and treatment for different conditions (unlike most other counselling approaches).